So this weekend, Justin and I were invited to go to the USC vs. UGA game with a friend named Cameron who we met on our Australia Study Abroad trip as I think I mentioned in the previous post. Cameron is from Columbia so her parents bought tickets and told her to invite friends down. She invited Justin and myself, 4 others from our Australia trip- Steven, Laura Ann, Cortney, and Molly, as well as her 3 roommates Molly, Britney, and Callie.
I had the latest class, getting out at 3:20 so we planned to leave at 4 when I got finished with classes. We had planned to take two cars- Steven's Tahoe and Cameron's BMW. At the last minute, Justin and I decided to take our car as well. Justin didn't realize we were invited to stay Friday and Saturday night and only packed for one night (oops!) and we both decided we could use the extra rest by getting a whole day at home on Sunday rather than not getting back until 4 or 5.
So the three cars head out at around 5. It took that long to load everyone's things and get headed out. Not 5 minutes into our drive we had a huge setback. Justin and I were in the right lane, while the other two cars were in the left. We managed to get through a light ahead of them and were traveling on our merry way. I realized the other two cars weren't in my line of vision and fussed at Justin for speeding ahead when we should of been following, assuming they had turned off somewhere. So as we were turning around Steven called and said "I had a wreck" and he told me where they were. We headed back towards him and Cameron called and said "We had a wreck. Both of our cars are pretty bad." She assured me they were all okay so I didn't ask anymore questions, but we were like WHAT? They hit each other?!?
When we got back to the scene, I could not believe what I saw. What happened was that a car two cars in front of Cameron suddenly decided to turn. Everyone slammed on breaks and came to a complete stop. They claimed it was close, but the were stopped and then WHAM a huge trash truck slammed into Steven, who was pushed into the back of Cameron, who was pushed into the car in front of her.
The driver was extremely nice. He said he was only going 35 but he just couldn't stop that suddenly. He made sure the cops understood he was the only one at fault, that they were stopped. He told Justin he would lose his 10,000 safety bonus which made me so sad. The girl that suddenly decided to turn should of just kept going and turned around. AND, she didn't even stop to see if everyone was okay.
Here's the cars:
It took forever for the one motorcycle cop they sent to get there. Athens's police force is a bit off if you ask me (they'll send four cars to pull over one speeder, but one motorcycle for a four car accident?). He wrote the reports and told anyone if they needed to go to the hospital, to go. Laura Ann wanted to go so I took her while Justin went back to get his truck to help unload all of the cargo from their vehicles. Both cars were towed. The doctor said the X-rays looked fine, but that she did have severe whip lash and that her muscles were having spasms. He prescribed muscle relaxers and 800 mg of motrin. (Cameron's mom is a doctor and she called in the same thing for the others).
By the time we left Athens it was almost 9 p.m. Cameron still wanted every one to come and with her parents buying all that food (they had bought 10 lbs of shrimp to cook for supper plus TONS of tailgating good) and tickets and Cameron being so excited, we re-vamped our plan and all headed down. We left Athens around 10 and got there about 1 AM.
Her parents are so nice! And the rest of the weekend went smoothly. Tailgating was fun. The game was hot and the dogs were making me nervous, but the game was a blast! We tailgated again afterwards and then headed back to Cameron's to shower. Justin and I left Cameron's around 10:30 PM and got to Athens around 1:30 AM.
Here are some photos from the weekend:
Group Shot
Australia Crew
Laura Ann, Molly, and Me
Cameron and Me
Us in front of the Cockabuses (So neat! Tons of Cabooses which people can buy and that's where they tailgate. We got to go into the USC one because Cameron's dad works there. They are sooooo cool!)
He was sitting right behind us!
Final Score. Go dogs!!!
Despite the beginning of the trip, it was a great one!!!
~BK
Don't Look Down!
6 years ago

7 comments:
Wow, that was an adventure! I'm glad everyone was ok and managed to have a good time, despite the rough start.
OH no! What a horrible beginning! Glad you guys made it. What a game! I was so nervous!
Wow I am glad everyone is alright. The game was making me nervous love all the pictures.
Yes Dan should win I think Memphis has just kinda skated by!
I just wanted to woot woot for Dan!
ahhh. I cannot believe all that happened on Friday afternoon! Weird stuff like that always comes along when you least need it to occur....lol. Not that it would have been good at any time.
Glad y'all finally made it and had a good time!
♥
omg! Glad everyone is ok. Driving somewhere is something we take for granted. It's such a risk everytime we step into a vehicle but so necessary. Those pics make me hurt for them!
Talk about fans. :) That's amazing everyone could pull it together to still go on the same night! Looks like you all had a great time.
Post a Comment